IMAM MAHDI (AJTF) IN SHIA HADITHS

How can the existence of Imam Mahdi (AJTF) be proven from Shia hadiths?

Shia hadiths about the existence of Imam Mahdi (AJTF) are numerous, anyone with even a basic understanding of Shia sources would acknowledge this fact. Here are some examples:

1.  Narrations referring to the birth of Imam Mahdi (AJTF):[1]

For instance, Ahmad ibn Muhammad narrates that when Zubeiri (an opponent of Imam Hasan al-Askari) was killed, Imam Hasan al-Askari said, "This is the punishment for someone who slanders God and His saints. He claimed that he would kill me and that I would have no offspring. So how did he see the power of God?" The narrator continues, "Meanwhile, Imam Hasan al-Askari had a son named Muhammad born in the year 256 AH."[2]

2.  Narrations indicating that some people have testified to seeing the Imam:[3]

“Dhu Ibn Ali al-Ajali” quotes one of the servants of the Imam: “One day, I entered upon the Imam, and he was in the outer room when I heard a movement in one of the rooms. The Imam told me, ‘Do not move from your place.’  So, I did not dare to enter or leave and stood there until a maid came out, carrying something covered. The Imam told me, ‘Come in.’ When I entered, he told the maid to return. The maid returned and came to the Imam. The Imam said: ‘Reveal what you have and remove the cover.’ The maid revealed a fair and handsome boy. The Imam said to me: ‘This is your master.’”[4]

3.  Hadiths where Imam Hasan al-Askari (AS) designates Imam Mahdi (AJTF) as his successor:[5]

"Muhammad ibn Ali ibn Bilal" narrates that I received a command from Imam Hasan al-Askari (AS) two years before his death, informing me of his successor. And again, three days before his death, I received a letter informing me of his successor.[6]

4.  Narrations from the Imams (AS) about the existence of Imam Mahdi (AJTF):[7]

o  Imam al-Jawad (AS) narrates that Imam Ali (AS) was sitting with Imam Hasan (AS) when Khidr entered in disguise and asked Imam Ali some questions. After Imam Ali answered, Khidr testified to the Imamate of each of the Imams and mentioned Imam Mahdi (AJTF) by saying: “I testify to the Imamate of a man who is the son of Hasan and will not be named or referred to by his title until his Imamate is revealed, and he will fill the earth with justice as it has been filled with oppression and injustice.”[8]

Kharaza Qumi narrates a hadith from Imam al-Sadiq (AS)about knowing the Imam, in which the Imam said, " We believe that Imam has all the rank of prophecy except that he is not given revelation, and that we consider obedience to him to be obedience to Allah and the Prophet, and that we are submissive to him in all matters, and that we believe that the Imam after the Prophet Muhammad is Ali ibn Abi Talib, after him is Hasan ibn Ali, after him is Husayn ibn Ali, after him is Ali ibn Husayn, after him is Muhammad ibn Ali, after him is Ja'far ibn Muhammad, after him is Musa ibn Ja'far, after him is Ali ibn Musa, after him is Muhammad ibn Ali, after him is Ali ibn Muhammad, after him is Hasan al-Askari, and after him is the Proof of the Qaim."[9]

o  In a narration from Di'bil al-Khuza’i, Imam al-Ridha (AS) tells him: “Do you know who the Imam (Qa’im) is and when he will rise?” He replied: “No.” The Imam continued: “My son Muhammad is the Imam after me, and after him, his son Ali, and after him, his son Hasan, and after Hasan, his son the Hujjat Qa’im, the Imam of the Ummah, whom the believers will await during his occultation and will obey after his appearance. If only one day remains of the world’s life, Allah will prolong that day until he comes and fills the earth with justice as it has been filled with oppression.[10] Thus, Imam al-Ridha (AS) confirms the existence and reappearance of Imam Mahdi (AJTF).”

As a result, the discussion about the existence of Imam Mahdi (AJTF), his occultation, his reappearance, etc., is consecutive and undeniable in Shia narrations.

[1] . For further study, refer to these sources: Kamal al-Din wa Tamam al-Ni'mah: Sheikh al-Saduq, Vol: 2, P: 424 / Al-Ghaybah: Sheikh al-Tusi, Vol: 1 P: 229 / Al-Ghaybah: al-Nu'mani, Muhammad ibn Ibrahim, Vol: 1, P: 12.

[2] . Al-Kafi: Sheikh al-Kulayni, Vol: 1, P: 514.

[3] . For further study, refer to these sources: Kamal al-Din wa Tamam al-Ni'mah: Sheikh al-Saduq, Vol: 2, P: 434 / Al-Ghaybah: Sheikh al-Tusi, Vol: 1, P: 253.

[4] . Al-Kafi: Sheikh Al-Kulayni, Vol: 1, P: 514.

[5] . For further study, refer to these sources: Al-Ghaybah: Sheikh Al-Tusi, Vol: 1, P: 33 / Kamal Al-Din and Tamam Al-Ni'mah: Sheikh Al-Saduq, Vol: 2, P: 378 / Al-Ghaybah: Al-Nu'mani, Muhammad bin Ibrahim, Vol: 1, P: 90.

[6] . Al-Kafi: Sheikh Al-Kulayni, Vol: 1, P: 328.

[7] . Al-Ghaybah: Sheikh Al-Tusi, Vol: 1, P: 232.

[8] . Al-Kafi: Sheikh Al-Kulayni, Vol: 1, P: 525.

[9] . Kifayat Al-Athar fi Al-Nass 'ala Al-A’immah Al-Ithnay 'Ashar: Ali ibn Muhammad Al-Khazaz Vol: 1, P: 262.

[10] . Uyun Akhbar Al-Ridha (AS): Sheikh Al-Saduq, Vol: 1, P: 297.