Qur’anic Evidence for the Existence of Imam Mahdi (AJTF)

Taqavi

What Qur’anic Evidence Supports the Existence of Imam Mahdi (AJTF)?

There are several verses in the Quran that the Imams (AS) have interpreted as referring to the existence of Imam Mahdi (AJTF). Here are a few examples:

1.    وَلَقَدْ كَتَبْنَا فِي الزَّبُورِ مِنْ بَعْدِ الذِّكْرِ أَنَّ الْأَرْضَ يَرِثُهَا عِبَادِيَ الصَّالِحُونَ""[1]

“And We have already written in the Psalms, after the Torah: Indeed, My righteous servants shall inherit the earth.”

Imam Baqir (AS) has said that “My righteous servants” refers to the Mahdi and his companions.[2]

2.     "وَعَدَ اللَّهُ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مِنْكُمْ وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ لَيَسْتَخْلِفَنَّهُمْ فِي الْأَرْضِ كَمَا اسْتَخْلَفَ الَّذِينَ مِنْ قَبْلِهِمْ وَلَيُمَكِّنَنَّ لَهُمْ دِينَهُمُ الَّذِي ارْتَضَى لَهُمْ وَلَيُبَدِّلَنَّهُمْ مِنْ بَعْدِ خَوْفِهِمْ أَمْنًا يَعْبُدُونَنِي لَا يُشْرِكُونَ بِي شَيْئًا وَمَنْ كَفَرَ بَعْدَ ذَلِكَ فَأُولَئِكَ هُمُ الْفَاسِقُونَ"[3]

“Allah has promised those who have believed among you and done righteous deeds that He will surely grant them succession [to authority] upon the earth just as He granted it to those before them and that He will surely establish for them [therein] their religion which He has preferred for them and that He will surely substitute for them, after their fear, security, [for] they worship Me, not associating anything with Me. But whoever disbelieves after that - then those are the defiantly disobedient.”

Imam Sadiq (AS) has said that this verse refers to the Mahdi and his companions.[4]

3.    "وَنُرِيدُ أَنْ نَمُنَّ عَلَى الَّذِينَ اسْتُضْعِفُوا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَنَجْعَلَهُمْ أَئِمَّةً وَنَجْعَلَهُمُ الْوَارِثِينَ"[5]

“And We wanted to confer favor upon those who were oppressed in the land and make them leaders and make them inheritors.”

Imam Ali (AS) said about this verse: “They are the oppressed ones from the family of Muhammad. After their hardship and difficulty, Allah will send their Mahdi and make them honorable and their enemies humiliated.”[6]

4.    "یوم یاتی بعض آیات ربک لاینفع نفسا ایمانها لم تکن آمنت من قبل"[7]

“The day when some of the signs of your Lord will come, no soul will benefit from its faith as long as it had not believed before.”

It is narrated that Imam Sadiq (AS) said about this verse: “The ‘signs’ are the Imams, and ‘some of the signs’ refers to the Mahdi from the family of Muhammad (AS).”[8]

5.    "و اذان من الله و رسوله الی الناس یوم الحج الاکبر"[9]

“And an announcement from Allah and His Messenger to the people on the day of the greater pilgrimage.”

It is narrated from Imam Baqir and Imam Sadiq (AS) that the ‘greater pilgrimage’ refers to the appearance of the Mahdi (AJTF).[10]

6.    [11]"وَ لَقَدْ أَرْسَلْنا مُوسى‏ بِآیاتِنا أَنْ أَخْرِجْ قَوْمَكَ مِنَ الظُّلُماتِ إِلَى النُّورِ وَ ذَكِّرْهُمْ بِأَیَّامِ اللَّهِ إِنَّ في‏ ذلِكَ لَآیاتٍ لِكُلِّ صَبَّارٍ شَكُورٍ"

“And We certainly sent Moses with Our signs, [saying], ‘Bring out your people from darknesses into the light and remind them of the days of Allah.’ Indeed in that are signs for everyone patient and grateful.”

Imam Baqir (AS) said about this verse: “The ‘days of Allah’ are three: the day of the rise of the Mahdi from the family of Muhammad, the day of death, and the day of resurrection.”[12]

7.    ""بَقِيَّتُ اللَّهِ خَيْرٌ لَكُمْ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ مُؤْمِنِينَ وَمَا أَنَا عَلَيْكُمْ بِحَفِيظٍ[13]

“What remains from Allah is better for you if you should be believers. And I am not a guardian over you.”

Omar ibn Zahir narrates: A man asked Imam Sadiq (AS) if it is appropriate to address Imam Mahdi (AJTF) with the title “Amir al-Mu’minin” (Commander of the Faithful). The Imam replied: “No, this title is exclusively for Imam Ali (AS). No one before him was called by this name, and after him, only a disbeliever would use it for himself.” I asked: “May I be sacrificed for you, how should we address him?” The Imam replied: “You should say: "Peace be upon you, O remainder of Allah." Then he recited this verse…[14]

Based on this, the term “Baqiyyatullah” (remainder of Allah) in the holy verse refers to Imam Mahdi (AJTF).

[1] . Al-Anbiya: 105.

[2] . Muntakhab al-Athar fi al-Imam al-Thani Ashar (AS): al-Safi, al-Sheikh Lotfollah Vol: 2 P: 32.

[3] . An-Nur: 55. 

[4] . Muntakhab al-Athar fi al-Imam al-Thani Ashar (AS): al-Safi, al-Sheikh Lotfollah Vol: 2 P: 45.

[5] . Al-Qasas: 5.

[6] . Al-Ghaybah: al-Sheikh al-Tusi, Vol: 1 P: 184.

[7] . Al-An'am: 158.

[8] . Kamal Al-Din and Tamam Al-Ni'mah: Sheikh Al-Saduq, Vol: 2 P: 336.

[9] . At-Tawbah: 3.

[10] . Tafsir Al-Ayyashi: Al-Ayyashi, Muhammad bin Mas'ud, Vol: 2 P: 76.

[11] . Al-Ibrahim: 5.

[12] . Musnad of Imam Al-Sadiq Abu Abdullah Ja'far bin Muhammad (as): Al-Attarodi, Sheikh Azizullah, Vol: 7 P: 143.

[13] . Al-Hud: 86.

[14] . Al-Kafi: Sheikh Al-Kulayni, Vol: 1 P: 411.

• Taqavi changed the title to Qur’anic Evidence for the Existence of Imam Mahdi (AJTF)