WHY DID THE PROPHET (S.W) USE THE WORD "MAWLA" INSTEAD OF "KHALIFA" OR OTHER WORDS ON THE DAY OF GHADIR KHUMM?

Taqavi

Why did the Prophet (S.W) use the word “Mawla” instead of “Khalifa” or other words on the day of Ghadir Khumm?

To introduce someone as a successor after oneself, one can use words that imply this designation. Before the event of Ghadir Khumm, the Prophet Muhammad (S.W) had used various terms and expressions that indicated this matter. For instance, during the "Yom al-Dar" event, where the Prophet gathered people to invite them to monotheism, he asked, “Who will support me in this matter?” Only Imam Ali (A.S) responded, and this event was repeated three times. Finally, the Prophet declared, "O Ali, you are my guardian, brother, and the caliph after me."[1]

Additionally, in other instances, he mentioned, "You are my caliph over all believers"[2] and "You are the guardian of the believers,"[3] and these occurrences are recorded throughout Islamic history.

The use of the term "mawla" at Ghadir Khumm was because this term denotes guardianship. This word in Arabic means "more worthy" as noted by linguistic scholars.[4]-[5]-[6]-[7]

And at Ghadir Khumm, as per the order of the Almighty,[8] the Prophet used the term "mawla" to declare the succession of Ali.[9] After the declaration of Ali's succession, the angel Gabriel descended and revealed the following divine verse to the Prophet: "This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favor upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion."[10]

[1] . Tarikh al-Tabari (Tarikh al-Rusul wal-Muluk): al-Tabari, Abu Ja’far Vol: 2 P: 321, 320 / al-Ghadir, Allamah Amini Vol. 3, p. 238.

[2] . Kitab al-Sunnah: Ibn Abi Asim Vol: 1 Page: 589

[3] . Musnad Ahmad Mukhrajah: Ahmad ibn Hanbal Vol: 38 P: 117

[4] . Muhammad bin Saeb Kalbi has taken the meaning of the word "mawla" more worthy: Tafsir al-Razi, Mafatih al-Ghayb aw al-Tafsir al-Kabir: al-Razi, Fakhr al-Din Vol: 29 Page: 459 / Tafsir al-Baghawi: al-Baghawi, Abu Muhammad V: 4, P: 57 / al-Bahr al-Muhit fi Tafsir: Abu Hayyan al-Andalusi Vol: 5 P: 433.

[5] . al-Zahir fi Ma’ani Kalimat al-Nas: Ibn al-Anbari Vol: 1 Page: 125

[6] . Al-Muhit fi al-Lughah: al-Sahib ibn Abbad Vol: 2 Page: 468

[7] . Alusi, who himself objected to the Shi'a about the meaning of mawla, admits in another place of his book that the linguists have captured mawla in more worthy: Tafsir Ruh al-Ma’ani: al-Alusi, Shahab al-Din Vol: 27 Page: 178

[8] ". Al-Ma'idah: 67, يَا أَيُّهَا الرَّسُولُ بَلِّغْ مَا أُنْزِلَ إِلَيْكَ مِنْ رَبِّكَ ۖ وَإِنْ لَمْ تَفْعَلْ فَمَا بَلَّغْتَ رِسَالَتَهُ"

[9] . Al-Dur al-Munthur fi Tafsir b al-Mathur: al-Suyuti, Jalal al-Din Vol: 3 P: 117 / Tarikh al-Ya’qubi: Ahmad ibn Abi Ya’qub Vol: 2 P: 43.

[10]. Al-Ma'idah: 3, الْيَوْمَ أَكْمَلْتُ لَكُمْ دِينَكُمْ وَ أَتْمَمْتُ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعْمَتِي وَ رَضِيتُ لَكُمُ الإِسْلاَمَ دِينا"