THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PROPHET (S) AND THE IMAMS (A)

Taqavi

What is the difference between the Holy Prophet (saw) and the infallible Imams (as)?

The duty of the messengers of God is to receive the Sharia from God and propagate and preserve it, and prophets' successors are their successor in the Sharia among prophets' ummah, so the difference between the successor and the messenger is that the messenger receives the Sharia from God directly and the successor receives the Sharia from the prophet and as long as the Messenger's successor is among the Ummah, that Sharia also remains intact through that successor.

Therefore, it is mentioned in a narration from the Prophet(s), O Ali, I am the one who gives warning, and you are the guide in this matter.[1]

In another narration, Sadir says: I said to Imam Sadiq (a): There are some people who believe that you are deities and they provide evidence for it from the Qur'an. He said: O Sadir! My ears, my eyes, my body, my blood and my hair hate these people, and God hates them, they are not in my religion, nor in the religion of my fathers. I said: There are other people who say: You are the messengers of God. He said: O Sadir! My ears, my eyes, my hair, my body, my flesh and my blood hate them, God and His Messenger hate them, they are not in my religion, nor in the religion of my fathers. I swear to God that on the Day of Resurrection, God will not bring me and them together except that He is angry with them. I said: So, what are you? He said: We are the treasurers of God's knowledge, we are the interpreters of God's orders, we are innocent and pure people, God Almighty has commanded people to obey us and forbade people from disobeying us. We are the clear proof of God over everything under the sky and on the earth. [2]

In this narration, the Imam denies the prophecy for himself, and explains difference between the Imams and the Prophet is that they are the interpreters of the divine command, which God has made their obedience like the prophet's obedience, obligatory.

So, since they are the interpreters of the divine order, they do not receive a new religion, that's why prophetic revelation is not revealed to them[3], but they are in contact with the angels, as Imam Baqir (a) said in a narration, Imam is the one who hears the voice of angels. [4]

[1] . Bihar Al-Anwar / Al-Allamah Al-Majlisi/ vol. 35/ p: 400. «أَنَا الْمُنْذِرُ وَ أَنْتَ يَا عَلِيُّ الْهَادِي إِلَى أَمْرِي‏»

[2] . Usul Kafi/Kulaini/vol: 1/p: 269. «عن سَدِيرٍ قَالَ: قُلْتُ لِأَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع إِنَّ قَوْماً يَزْعُمُونَ أَنَّكُمْ آلِهَةٌ......»

[3] . Prophetic revelation is a sign of prophecy and it is mentioned more than seventy times in the Quran. Ma’rifat Qur’ani / Marafat, Sheikh Mohammad Hadi / Vol: 1 P: 22.

[4] . Usul Kafi/Kulaini/vol: 1/p: 176. «.... قُلْتُ الْإِمَامُ مَا مَنْزِلَتُهُ قَالَ يَسْمَعُ الصَّوْتَ .....»

• Taqavi changed the title to THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PROPHET (S) AND THE IMAMS (A)