THE IMAMATE (LEADERSHIP) AFTER THE PROPHET CONTINUED THROUGH WHOM?

Taqavi

The Imamate(leadership) after the Prophet continued through whom?

God chose Islam as the complete religion and through it, finalized the argument for all until the Day of Judgment, setting the perfection and completion of this religion in the appointment of the succession of Imamate after the Messenger of God (s). When the Messenger of God (s) concluded this duty at Ghadir Khumm, God declared, "Today I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favor upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion".[1]

According to narrations found in Sunni books, from the very first day of his mission, the Prophet (s) introduced his successor. He addressed his relatives by asking, "Who will assist me and be my brother and successor?" The only person who responded positively to the Messenger of God (s) was Imam Ali (a), and the Prophet (s) stated, "Be informed that Ali is my brother and successor; obey him".[2] After this event, throughout his prophethood, the Messenger of God (s) introduced Ali (a) on various occasions as his successor, one of which is the Hadith of Position where he said, "O Ali, are you not content to be to me like Aaron was to Moses, except that there will be no prophet after me?".[3] When some malicious individuals wanted to speak ill of Imam Ali (a) in front of the Messenger of God (s), he replied, "Ali is from me and I am from Ali, and he is your Wali (guardian) after me".[4]

In another narration, it is stated that the Prophet (s) was commanded to designate Imam Ali (a) as his successor, but the Messenger of God (s) refrained from declaring it due to the people still being close to the ignorance of their past until God revealed on the day of Ghadir the verse "O Messenger, deliver what has been sent down to you from your Lord".[5] At that moment, the Prophet publicly proclaimed the Imamate of Ali (a).

Based on these facts, it should be said that the Messenger of God (s) introduced Ali (a) as his successor from the beginning of his mission and, at the end of his life, publicly announced the divine commandment of Imam Ali's succession at Ghadir Khumm.[6] Therefore, the initiator of Imamate after the Prophet was Imam Ali (a).

[1] . Al-Ma’idah: 3, " "الْيَوْمَ أَكْمَلْتُ لَكُمْ دِينَكُمْ وَأَتْمَمْتُ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعْمَتِي وَرَضِيتُ لَكُمُ الْإِسْلَامَ دِينًا

[2] . Kanz al-Ummal; Al-Muttaqi al-Hindi, Vol: 13, P: 133.

[3] . Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah; Ibn Abi Shaybah, Abu Bakr, Vol: 6, P: 366.

[4] . Musnad Ahmad; Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Vol: 38, P: 117.

[5] . Shawahid al-Tanzil li Qawa'id al-Tafdil; Al-Hakim al-Haskani, Vol: 1, P: 256.

[6] . Usd al-Ghaba; Ibn al-Athir, Izz al-Din, Vol: 3, P: 35.

• Taqavi changed the title to THE IMAMATE (LEADERSHIP) AFTER THE PROPHET CONTINUED THROUGH WHOM?